Keeping Fresh Herbs
Pick the herbs early in the morning, wash and dry the excess water and keep in a cloth bag and refrigerate. Or put in a salad spinner, work it, discard the water, and keep the herbs on it, they will last longer.
It has been raining for the past few days, and walking in the backyard was not very pleasant, water was everywhere, however I managed to get some fresh herbs. The mixed fresh herbs were wash, ready to keep for a week in a bag cloth and refrigerated. I often do this, particularly if my cooking needs a lot of herbs.
The bag cloth for keeping herbs, use cotton, calico or soft cheesecloth. Other ways to store fresh herbs are inside salad spinner or place them in a vase as you would with fresh-cut flowers.
Using Herbs, we could do so much with herbs. Use for cooking, garnishes, and add them to hot tea. Drinking fresh water in a jug, is much fresher added with herbs and also mixed fresh fruits.
In my kitchen
Herbs for cooking culinary herbs
Lemon grass, kaffir lime leaf. coriander, curly parsley, flat parsley, thyme, rosemary, mint, chives, oregano, sage, bay leaf, lovage, basil and more.
Herbs You Need
– For bouquet garni for stock preparation and cooking ragu-and stew: thyme, parsley, bay leaves. rosemary, and some leeks. Wrap these herbs using the green leek for the wrapper, and tie with a string securely.
– Javanese cooking: coriander, lemon grass, kaffir lime leaf, salam leaf which are not easily grown in backyard garden.
Australian cooking: it is hard to say, but as traditional cooking – dampers and BBQ a few herbs are used, for savoury damper add some rosemary as well as for the BBQ meat. I am sure fragrant fresh herbs from the bush can be added to the Australian cooking, (I may have to learn more about the bush herbs)
– Italian cooking: oregano, basil, flat parsley, sage, thyme, mints, bay leaf and rosemary, eight herbs which are commonly used for Italian cooking
– Greek cooking: oregano, mints, bay leaf, rosemary, and basil, but mints and rosemary are the predominantly used in Greek cuisine.
– French cooking: tarragon, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, flat parsley. Roast chicken with French tarragon is very famous dish of French cuisine .
– Spanish cooking: rosemary, parsley, bay leaf and saffron.
Herbs for garnishes: The dishes always look better if they are added with fresh herbs as garnishes. Herbs and edible flower for the best garnishes are fennel leaves, mints, and parsley, nasturtium flower, thyme, sage flowers and also rose petals.
The good rains made the garden look fresh, and the vegetable patch is so good, the herbs and the greens are looking well, they are flourishing and the Swiss chard are so leafy. The potted herbs don’t need much care, the soil is moist and wet.
Vegetable and ricotta pie is going to be cooking for the day, to make the best of the fresh vegetables, now it is time to pick them.
Thinking of you girls, Mel, Jane and Susan, I am sure you know what you do with fresh herbs. xx
Until Next Post